Each year, a jury of experts carefully evaluates the applications for the Commitment Award while considering the following questions: How charitable is the project? How much potential and sustainability is incorporated into the project? Will the prize money be used responsibly and effectively? Is the project likely to be actualized?
The jury consists of various members from politics, civil society and the private sector. The 2019 jury members are
- Marufa Akter, first winner of the Commitment Award,
- Robert Burdy, founder of and coach at the Shibumi Leadership Academy and Moderator at MDR,
- Michael Dirkx, Managing Director of the W.P. Schmitz-Stiftung,
- Boris Lochthofen, Managing Editor at the MDR Studio Erfurt,
- Dirk Wegler, head of the Thuringian Center for Startups and Entrepreneurship (ThEX), and
- Anna-Lena Winkler of the Haniel Foundation.
Previous jury members are i.a (affiliations according to the time of their jury membership).
- Rita Süssmuth, former President of the German Federal Parliament and the former Federal Minister for Family Affairs, Women, Youth and Health
- Andreas Rickert, CEO / Vorstandsvorsitzender, PHINEO gAG
- Laura Bastine, BMW Foundation
- Manuel Hartung, Tempus Corporate (Die ZEIT)