Each year, a jury of experts chooses three winners after carefully evaluating the projects. The jury bases its evaluation on the following key questions: How non-profit is the project? How much potential and sustainability does the project have? Is the prize money used responsibly and effectively? Is the project likely to be implemented?
The jury consists of various members from politics, civil society and the private sector. The 2019 jury members are:
- Marufa Akter, the first winner of the Commitment Awards,
- Robert Burdy, founder of the Shibumi Leadership Academy and moderator at MDR,
- Michael Dirkx, Managing Director of the WP Schmitz Foundation,
- Dirk Wegler, director of the Thuringian Center for Business Startups and Entrepreneurship (ThEX), and
- Anna-Lena Winkler from the Haniel Foundation.
Previous jury members included (membership at the time of the jury membership):
- Boris Lochthofen, director of MDR Studio Erfurt,
- Rita Süssmuth, former President of the German Bundestag and former Federal Minister for Youth, Family and Health
- Andreas Rickert, CEO / CEO, PHINEO gAG
- Laura Bastine, BMW Foundation
- Manuel Hartung, Tempus Corporate (Die ZEIT)